This list of systems engineering at universities gives an overview of the different forms of systems engineering (SE) programs, faculties, and institutes at universities worldwide. Since there is no clear consensus on what constitutes a systems engineering degree, this list simply identifies the college and department offering degrees and the degrees offered.
Education in systems engineering is often observed to be an extension to the regular engineering courses, reflecting the industry attitude that engineering professionals need a foundational background in one of the traditional engineering disciplines (e.g. civil engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering) plus professional, real-world experience to be effective as systems engineers. Undergraduate university programs in systems engineering are rare.
Education in systems engineering can be viewed as Systems-centric or Domain-centric.
- Systems-centric programs treat systems engineering as a separate discipline with most courses focusing on systems engineering theory and practice.
- Domain-centric programs offer systems engineering topics as an option that can be imbedded within the major domains or fields of engineering.
Both categories strive to educate the systems engineer with capability to oversee interdisciplinary projects with the depth required of a core-engineer.
The International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) maintains a continuously updated Directory of Systems Engineering Academic Programs worldwide.
Systems Engineering degrees in Europe
Systems Engineering Degrees in the USA
As of 2006, there are about 75 institutions in United States that offer 130 undergraduate and graduate programs in Systems engineering.
Systems Engineering degrees in other countries
Research Institutes for Systems Engineering
- Hasso Plattner Institute related to the University of Potsdam, Germany.
- Informatics Research Centre at the University of Reading Business School, Reading, Berkshire, England, UK.
- I2S - Institut d'ingÃ©nierie des systÃ¨mes  at the Ãcole Polytechnique FÃ©dÃ©rale de Lausanne in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Systems Engineering Estimation and Decision Support (SEED)  at the University of the West of England CEMS, Bristol, England, UK.
- Technical University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.
- UCL Centre for Systems Engineering (UCLse) in the Mullard Space Science Laboratory, London, England, UK.
- Research Centre for Automatic Control (CRAN), joint research unit with Nancy-UniversitÃ© and CNRS, Nancy, France
In the USA:
- GTRI Electronic Systems Laboratory (ELSYS) at the Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- GTRI Aerospace, Transportation and Advanced Systems Laboratory at the Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Western Transportation Institute at Montana State University, Montana, USA.
- List of types of systems engineering
- List of systems engineering books (WikiProject System list)
- List of systems engineers
- List of systems science organizations
- INCOSE Directory of Systems Engineering Academic Programs World Wide