Lake View High School is a public 4-year high school located in the Lake View neighborhood on the north side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. It is a part of the Chicago Public Schools district. While the current building opened in 1886, the school itself opened in 1874, dating to a time when the Lake View community was not a part of the City of Chicago. Lake View became a part of Chicago in 1889. The school is the oldest operating public secondary school in the state of Illinois.
Lake View High School earned a bronze medal in the U.S. News/School Matters Best High School rankings. The school offers approximately 20 clubs and activities for students. Among those which are chapters or branches of nationally notable organizations are National Honor Society and Key Club.
Lake View competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL), and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Teams are stylized as the Wildcats. The boys track & field team finished second at the first IHSA State Meet in 1892â"93, and its boys soccer team finished fourth in the IHSA State Tournament in 2008â"09.
- Clarence Appelgran was an American football player who played for the Detroit Heralds in 1920
- Edgar Bergen was a ventriloquist and actor, father of actress Candice Bergen
- Barbara Bedford, actress
- Tom Bosley was a Tony Award winning actor, best known for his work on television (Happy Days, Father Dowling Mysteries).
- Myron Hunt, architect
- Mark LaValle, Olympic weightlifter
- Vince Lawrence is a platinum award winning dance music producer, businessman and one of the leading innovators of House Music
- Abe Saperstein was the founder, owner, and coach of the Harlem Globetrotters.
- Gloria Swanson was a Golden Globe award winning actress, perhaps best remembered for her role as Norma Desmond in the film Sunset Boulevard.
- Richard Thieme (class of 1961), priest, consultant, and author
- Sidney R. Yates was a U. S. Representative (1949â"63, 65â"99) representing Illinois' 9th congressional district.
- Official website
- Official CPS page for Lake View High School