Atlanta Technical College (Atlanta Tech or ATC) is a unit of the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG), and provides education services for Fulton and Clayton counties. Atlanta Tech is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and technical certificates of credit.
ATC was originally established in 1945 after World War II as an adult vocational school named Smith-Hughes Vocational School. In 1964, the school's location was moved to Smith High School (now closed), and the school was renamed to Hoke Smith Technical Institute. At that time, about 24 occupational programs were offered.
In 1967, the school was reorganized as Atlanta Area Technical School and was moved to its current campus, holding the first classes in its new facilities in January 1968.
In 1997, the school's name was changed to Atlanta Technical Institute and the institution became part of the Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education. On July 1, 2000, the name was changed to Atlanta Technical College.
Atlanta Tech's main campus is located at 1560 Metropolitan Parkway, SW, in Atlanta. The school also has an extension campus at 4191 Northside Drive in northwest Atlanta.