Dallas Christian School is a nominally non-sectarian preparatory day school for boys and girls located in Mesquite, Texas. The school offers classes for students ranging from pre-kindergarten through the twelfth grade. Dallas Christian School is a member of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS).
In 2004, the school was the recipient of the No Child Left Behind Blue Ribbon Award from the United States Department of Education, which placed Dallas Christian as one of only four private schools in the state of Texas and one of only 50 private schools nationally to receive the award. Dallas Christian School has special programs such as its LEAP and Scholars Lab programs, which focus on helping students with developmental needs.
The school maintains an affiliation with the church of Christ, a community of evangelical Christians who aim to restore and emulate Christianity as practiced by the first-century church according to Scripture of the New Testament.
Dallas Christian was founded in 1957 in various church buildings in the Dallas area and only served students in K5 and first grade. In 1965, the school had come to include several campuses which graduated elementary students into middle school at the new Pleasant Grove campus. The early 1970s was a period of growth for the school and caused them to move locations to its current home at the once home of the Christian College of the Southwest. The school celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2007 and continues to provide education for students K3-12th grade
S.C.H.O.L.A.R.S. LAB (Students Can Have Organizational, Learning, And Reading Strategies) is offered for all students K5-12th grade. This program helps students who have mild learning disabilities to establish habits that will help them in the classroom. All students accepted into the program must have documentation of a diagnosed learning disability.
Dallas Christian School uses the Arrowsmith Program.
Over the past decade, Dallas Christian alumni have attended schools such as Cornell University, University of California, Berkeley, Dartmouth College, New York University, Georgetown University, Furman University, The University of Texas at Austin, Southern Methodist University, Austin College, Trinity University, Baylor University, Texas Christian University, Texas A&M University, Abilene Christian University, Lubbock Christian University, and Texas Tech University. Dallas Christian has also helped a number of its students achieve recognition as National Merit Scholarship recipients.
- Jordan Black, professional football player. Drafted by the National Football League's Kansas City Chiefs. Played professionally for the Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Bonnie Curtis, Hollywood Movie Producer.
- Choo Freeman, professional baseball player. Played professional baseball for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Colorado Rockies organizations.
- Skye Dawson, professional football player. Alumni of Texas Christian University. Drafted by the National Football League's Washington Redskins. Currently playing wide receiver for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools
- ^ http://www.dallaschristian.com/about/history.aspx
- ^ http://www.dallaschristian.com/academics/academicservices.aspx
- ^ http://www.arrowsmithschool.org/arrowsmithprogram/dallas.html
- Dallas Christian School