Dunbar Vocational High School (also known as Dunbar Vocational Career Academy, or DVCA) is a public 4â"year vocational high school located in the Bronzeville neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. The school is operated by the Chicago Public Schools district. It is named in honor of the African-American poet, novelist, and playwright Paul Laurence Dunbar.
Dunbar Vocational High School Marching band 1999 - playing never satisfied under Carl Cogar.
Dunbar Vocational High School opened in 1942 as a trade school. In 1946, the Chicago Public Schools changed the trade school into a public high school, accepting ninth grade students in January of that year. Dunbar was housed in a school building located at 4401 South St. Lawrence Avenue. By 1952, Dunbar suffered from issues dealing with overcrowding issues and aging of the school building, The Chicago Board of Education decided that a new school building was needed for Dunbar. Construction began at 3000 South Parkway Ave (now Martin L. King Jr Drive) on April 6, 1955. The new Dunbar Vocational High School building opened for students for the 1956â"57 school year.
Dunbar competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). The Boys' basketball team were Public League champions in the 1955â"56 season and regional champions in 2011â"12. The Girls' basketball team were Class AA in the 1997â"98 season. The Girls track and field team were Public league champions and place 2nd in 1977â"78 and Class AA three times (1977â"78, 1978â"79, 1985â"86). The Boys' wrestling team were Public league champions in 1977â"78 and ranked Class AA two times (1977â"78, 2007â"08). The Boys' track and field were Public league champions four times (1956â"57, 1957â"58, 1964â"65, 1981â"82), and Class AA (1981â"82).
On January 9, 2009, Five people were shot outside the school after a varsity basketball game against John Hope College Prep had concluded around 8PM. The shooting was considered gang-related. On May 23, 2013, A 16â"year old female student was pushed down a flight of stairs and assaulted by a male security guard at the school. The incident was filmed via cell phone video by another student.
- Barbara Acklin â" R&B/soul singer.
- Michelle Gordon â" martial artist.
- Jennifer Hudson (1999) â" Academy Award-winning actress (Dreamgirls) and singer.
- Jimmy D. Lane â" blues guitarist who has recorded with Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Van Morrison, Jimmy Rogers
- Ronnie Lester â" NBA guard (1980â"86), who was selected in the first round of the 1980 NBA Draft. He was a member of the Los Angeles Lakers when they won the 1985 NBA Championship.
- Lou Rawls â" Grammy Award-winning soul/R&B, jazz, and blues singer (You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine, Love Is a Hurtin' Thing).
- Bernard Shaw â" journalist and news anchor, perhaps best known for his work at CNN (1980â"2001).
- Mr. T (Lawrence Tureaud) (1970) â" actor (Rocky III, The A-Team).
- Cynda Williamsâ" actress (Mo Better Blues)
- Official CPS page for Dunbar Vocational High School
- School website