Herron School of Art and Design, a school of Indiana University, was ranked 45th overall by U.S. News and World Report among graduate schools of fine arts in 2008.
Located on the campus of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Herron enrolls nearly 900 students in bachelor and master degree programs including fine arts, visual communication design, visual art, art education and art history. Herron is also home to the Herron Galleries, which exhibit contemporary works of art by regional and national artists, and the Basile Center for Art, Design and Public Life, which enriches educational and interdisciplinary activities through civic engagement and community partnerships.
Herron School of Art and Design Student Selected for The Avenue Public Art Project - Buckingham Companies has selected a student from Herron School of Art and Design, senior painting major Joanna Tanaskovich, through its Basile Center for ...
Bachelor of Arts
- Art history
Bachelor of Art Education
Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Furniture design
- General fine arts
- Visual communication
Master of Art Education
Master of Art Therapy
Master of Fine Arts
- Visual communication
- Visual art and public life
- Furniture design
- Painting and drawing
- Photography and intermedia
- Andrew Blauvelt
- Norman Bridwell
- Vija Celmins
- William Forsyth
- Ray H. French
- Don Gummer
- Cindy Hinant
- John Wesley Hardrick
- Bill Justice
- Terence Main
- Rinaldo Paluzzi
- Bill Peet
- Hale Woodruff
- Samuel E VÃ¡zquez
The Art Association of Indianapolis, formerly the Indiana School of Art, was established in 1883. In 1895, John Herron bequeathed most of his fortune (almost $250,000) to the Association, which was headed by suffragette May Wright Sewell. Herron stipulated that the money be used to build a museum and art school in his name. (Based on inflation, $250,000 in 1895 would be equivalent to $7,002,734 in 2014)
Due to Herron's gift, the John Herron Art Institute was formed in 1902 in Indianapolis. It served as both an art museum and art school. The Institute's Italian Renaissance Revival style Herron Museum building, designed by Vonnegut and Bohn architects, was located at 1701 North Pennsylvania Street. The Institute's Main Building was designed by Paul Philippe Cret in 1929, and was built in the Morton Place district. It was the second facility in the nation designed specifically for art education.
The first core faculty included Indiana Impressionist painters of the Hoosier Group: T.C. Steele, J. Ottis Adams, William Forsyth, Richard Gruelle, and Otto Stark. The sculptor Rudolph Schwarz was also in the first core faculty.
In 1967, the Herron School of Art became a school of Indiana University. Two years later, it became part of IUPUIâ"Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, located near downtown Indianapolis. In 1970, the Indianapolis Museum of Art separated from the school, taking with it a majority of Herron's art collection.
The Herron School of Art and Design launched a capital campaign to raise funds for new buildings in 1999, and in 2000 a ceramic arts facility was opened.
In 2005, Eskenazi Hall, the current home of the school, was completed. This 169,000-square-foot (15,700Â m2) facility tripled the amount of space available to Herron students and includes a 5,500-square-foot (510Â m2) library, a 240-seat auditorium, 4,200 square feet (390Â m2) of gallery space, and several computer labs.
The original Herron art school's buildings now house Herron High School, a classical liberal arts charter high school. They are within the Herron-Morton Place Historic District.
Caroline Marmon Fesler: The daughter of local industrialist and automobile manufacturer Daniel W. Marmon (Ray Harroun drove a Marmon car to victory in the first Indianapolis 500 race in 1911), she studied painting in Europe. Later, she became a well-known art collector, especially of 20th-century modernist works, many of which she later gave to the Herron Museumâ"including Grey Hills by her friend, Georgia O'Keeffe. Along with Sullivan, Fesler propelled the Herron Museum into the era of modern art.
Herman C. Krannert: Founder and president of Inland Container Corporation, Krannert agreed to take charge of the Art Association in 1960, at a point when the organization was struggling to stay afloat. Krannert insisted the group reorganize its board and its way of doing business, including creating the position of board chairmanâ"he became the first person to have that title and he held it for 12 years. His tenure culminated in the relocation of the Museum from the Herron campus at 16th and Pennsylvania streets to its current 38th St. and Michigan Road site, and the Art Associationâs name change to the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
- ^ "Rankings: Fine Arts". U.S. News and World Report. Retrieved 2010-05-13.Â
- ^ Walleston, Aimee (February 2013). "Cindy Hinant". Art In America. Retrieved 20 November 2014.Â
- ^ "Herron History". IUPUI. Retrieved 2011-12-21.Â
- Herron.iupui.edu: official IUPUI Herron School of Art and Design website
- Iupui.edu: official IUPUIâ"Indiana University â" Purdue University Indianapolis website
- Indianapolis Museum of Art blog: the 125th IMA Anniversary "Power to the People" exhibit â" history of IMA.
- National Park Service: Herron-Morton Place Historic District, Indianapolis