Plainfield North High School, or PNHS, is a four-year public high school located in Plainfield, Illinois, a southwest suburb of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States. Founded in August 2005, it is located on 12005 S. 248th Street and is part of Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202. It currently serves students who live in northern Plainfield and parts of Romeoville and Naperville.
Due to a rapidly growing population, PNHS was established to ease student overflow in Plainfield's other schools, Plainfield South High School and Plainfield Central High School. It opened in the beginning of the 2005-06 school year for incoming freshmen and sophomores only. As the years went on and classes progressed into the upper classes of juniors and seniors, additional classes were added in their place with the school becoming a full-fledged four year high school in the 2007-2008 academic year. The school's first principal was Dr. Peter Pasteris. During the 2008-2009 academic year, a small portion of PNHS students were re-zoned to the newly opened Plainfield East High School. Most students who were transferred lived in the Bolingbrook, Illinois area.
Plainfield North began ACT testing in April 2007 and graduated its first class in 2008 with 512 students. As of the 2010-2011 academic year, PNHS's mean ACT score is 22.1 and the mean PSAE score is 160. Based on PNHS's test performance, SchoolDigger ranks PNHS 104th of 667 Illinois public high schools.
For the 2011-2012 academic year, 40 PNHS students were named AP Scholars and four students were named AP Scholars with Honor. In the same year, four PNHS students were also earned National Merit Commended Status through the PSAT/NMSQT, the most from any other District 202 high schools that year.
Plainfield North competes in the Southwest Prairie Conference and Illinois High School Association, and its mascot is the Tiger. Boys Track, as well as the girls' track team, won conference in their first year with seniors. The girls' team was also undefeated. In the 2007-2008 season, girls' bowling won both conference and sectional titles and advanced to the state competition where they placed 13th. In the same season, Plainfield North boys' bowler Patryk Bec bowled the school's first 300 game during a conference match against rival school Plainfield South, finishing with a high series of 778. The Plainfield North boys' volleyball team became conference champions in 2009, and were Regional runners-up in both the 2009 and 2010 seasons. In October 2010, then PNHS running back Kapri Bibbs broke the 24 year old state record for most rushing yards in one game during a game against Oswego High School, achieving 520 yards along with seven touchdowns. In 2010, the PNHS marching band finished at 8th place in the state competition, marking the highest finish for any District 202 marching band since 1998. In 2013, the marching band placed 3rd in state. As a result, the school attracted considerable attention from the band community and made history for the Plainfield high schools.
In 2006, PNHS's football program was found to be in violation of multiple Illinois High School Association rules, mainly stemming from illegal recruitment of players. As a result, the PNHS football team was barred from competing in the state playoffs for the next two years and the head coach of the football program, Dan Darlington, was suspended for the remainder of the 2006-2007 season. Dr. Peter Pasteris, the school's inaugural principal, was also barred from acting as the school's official representative to the IHSA, later being dismissed as the school's principal after a vote by the school board.
During the 2010-2011 school year, there have been 2 separate incidents involving inappropriate teacher/student relationships. Former Dance Teacher, Ashley Blumenshine was allegedly caught by police having sex with a male 16 year-old student in the parking lot of a Kohl's at around 6:00Â p.m. on a school night. She is in the midst of her trial for sexual abuse. Later in the year, former Athletic director Doug Stevens was pressured to resign after news of a questionable relationship with a former student emerged.
On July 10, 2013 Plainfield North business teacher and wrestling coach Max Estes was arrested and held on $300,000 bail on child pornography charges. Estes was a non-tenured teacher who passed all background checks when he was hired. He later resigned from his teaching post.
Kapri Bibbs, Colorado State University running back and IHSA football record holder. He was picked up by the Denver Broncos as a free agent in the 2014 Draft.
- ^ "District 202 schools". Psd202.org. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Plainfield Dist 202 PNHS Facts". Psd202.org. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Community Profile: Plainfield IL Real Estate". chicagotribune.com. 2008-04-25. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "PNHS Opening Facts". Psd202.org. 2005-09-13. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ http://www.psd202.org/Documents/ReportCards/PNHS.pdf
- ^ "Plainfield North High School, Plainfield IL School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews". SchoolDigger.com. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202". Psd202.org. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202". Psd202.org. 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ Helfgot, Mike (2010-10-02). "High school football: Tribune/WGN-Ch. 9 Preps Plus Athlete of the Month: Plainfield North's Kapri Bibbs, Colorado State football recruit". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Plainfield North Marching Band Places 8th in State Competition - Plainfield, IL Patch". Plainfield.patch.com. 2010-10-28. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Plainfield North Marching Band Takes Third at State - Plainfield, IL Patch". Plainfield.patch.com. 2013-10-16. Retrieved 2014-01-25.Â
- ^ Bryan Bloodworth firstname.lastname@example.org (2006-09-19). "IHSA suspends Plainfield North for recruiting". Pantagraph.com. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Announcements @ PlainfieldSports.com: Reinstate Plainfield North High School Principal Dr. Peter Pasteris". Plainfieldsports1.blogspot.com. 2008-04-04. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Plainfield North teacher, Ashley Blumenshine, accused of sex with 16-year-old student | abc7chicago.com". Abclocal.go.com. 2011-01-05. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ Sorensen, Karen (2011-03-06). "Plainfield North Athletic Director Resigns after Alleged Affair with Grad - Plainfield, IL Patch". Plainfield.patch.com. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- ^ "Wrestling coach ordered held on child pornography charges". Chicago Tribune. 2013-07-11.Â
- ^ "Plainfield North teacher resigns after child porn charges". Chicago Tribune. 2013-07-20.Â
- ^ Â Kapri Bibbs. "Player Bio: Kapri Bibbs - Colorado State University Official Athletic Site". Csurams.com. Retrieved 2012-07-18.Â
- Official Website
- Boys Track
- Plainfield District 202